Wondery is one of the largest podcast publishers in the US. Launched in 2016, and known for its immersive podcasts, Wondery became the fastest network to join the Top 10 ranker by Podtrac, propelled by hit shows like Dr Death, Dirty John, American History Tellers, Business Wars, Hollywood & Crime and Gladiator. Twelve of Wondery’s shows have reached # 1 on Apple Podcasts, and Wondery is the only publisher to have simultaneously claimed the # 1 and # 2 ‘Top New Podcasts” slots on an annual Podtrac ranker.
As we’re headed into our fourth year of operations, we’re looking for a VP of Finance to help us grow from eight figures to nine figures. The ideal candidate will have a combination of experience and attitude that will help them thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven environment built around a strong culture, with the values of wonder, care, character, drive and fun at our core.
You must be a podcast listener.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA Required
- MBA preferred
- Background in Big 4 Public Accounting
- 5 years minimum experience as a VP of Finance in a VC-backed startup or a publicly traded company
- 10+ years total accounting or finance experience
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP, IFRS, SOX compliance and SEC reporting.
- Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
- “Hands On” ERP Systems Experience preferred
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Act effectively as Chief Financial Officer and strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage and interact with Board of Directors, CEO, COO and Executive Leadership Team.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Participate in pivotal decisions
- Implement and help shape policies and processes
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
- Supervise the outside business and accounting vendor to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for investors and company’s board of directors.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Hire, develop and manage accounting directors, managers and staff
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
Financial and Cash Management
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Oversee cash, investments and asset management area.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process