Wondery is a network of storytellers and the fastest-growing podcast company in the world, with hit podcasts such as “Dirty John”, “Business Wars”, “American History Tellers” and “Dr. Death”. Wondery’s mission is to bring a world of entertainment and knowledge to our audiences, wherever they listen. We provide our listeners with high-quality, emotionally immersive podcasts that allow them to feel the story.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter with the role you’re applying for in the subject line here.
Working at Wondery
- We’re innovative, creative and love immersive storytelling
- Fun activities and events (including midday hikes!)
- Healthy snacks and fridges stocked with LaCroix
- Beautiful West Hollywood location close to landmarks like SoHo House, Roxy Theatre, The Comedy Store, and more!
- Comprehensive benefits including 401K, Vision, Medical, and Dental
Wondery is one of the largest podcast publishers in the US. Launched in 2016, and known for its immersive podcasts, Wondery became the fastest network to join the Top 10 ranker by Podtrac, propelled by hit shows like Dr Death, Dirty John, American History Tellers, Business Wars, Hollywood & Crime and Gladiator. Twelve of Wondery’s shows have reached # 1 on Apple Podcasts, and Wondery is the only publisher to have simultaneously claimed the # 1 and # 2 ‘Top New Podcasts” slots on an annual Podtrac ranker.
As we’re headed into our fourth year of operations, we’re looking for a VP of Finance to help us grow from eight figures to nine figures. The ideal candidate will have a combination of experience and attitude that will help them thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven environment built around a strong culture, with the values of wonder, care, character, drive and fun at our core.
You must be a podcast listener.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA Required
- MBA preferred
- Background in Big 4 Public Accounting
- 5 years minimum experience as a VP of Finance in a VC-backed startup or a publicly traded company
- 10+ years total accounting or finance experience
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP, IFRS, SOX compliance and SEC reporting.
- Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
- “Hands On” ERP Systems Experience preferred
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Act effectively as Chief Financial Officer and strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage and interact with Board of Directors, CEO, COO and Executive Leadership Team.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Participate in pivotal decisions
- Implement and help shape policies and processes
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
- Supervise the outside business and accounting vendor to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for investors and company’s board of directors.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Hire, develop and manage accounting directors, managers and staff
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
Financial and Cash Management
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Oversee cash, investments and asset management area.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process
WONDERY is looking for a Vice President of Product Management to join the rapidly growing team in Los Angeles. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will develop, launch and grow Wondery’s direct to consumer business, Wondery+ (our subscription product). This role is a critical member of the senior team and therefore focus on leadership, product excellence and customer acquisition in a growth environment will be paramount.
The ideal candidate will have previously held Product Manager roles at an early stage company. He or She will have a passion for direct to consumer products, identifying a meaningful value proposition for our listeners to subscribe while offering an engaging, easy-to-use service. She or He will work closely with the marketing team around customer acquisition and (once a subscriber) oversee the listener experience throughout the Wondery+ product journey. Scaling the product will be dependent on successfully engaging the target audience and getting them hooked on Wondery’s content and value proposition of the subscription service.
• Own the Wondery+ product roadmap and related success metrics
• Lead the development and execution of features for Wondery+ across all platforms – website, mobile devices and emerging platforms – all the way through development, deployment and ongoing optimization
• Monitor and analyze key performance indicators, including customer CAC, LTV and churn. Be a champion of data-driven product decisions
• Create product “documentation” including product requirements, use cases and roadmap
• Oversee the (currently outsourced) engineering team to develop and deploy product features
• Work closely with the content & marketing team on content, customer acquisition and pricing and customer-retention strategies
• Take the learnings from our MVP to develop a low-friction and superior user experience
• Act as advocate for Wondery+ to internal (content, marketing, etc…) and external (consumer subscribers, audio platforms) stakeholders
• Cultivate strong relationships among cross-functional teams in Content, Design, Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, and Executive Team
• Keep abreast of podcast industry news, emerging trends in audio platforms and competitor offerings
• She or he will have at least 10+ years of overall work experience and at least 5 years experience managing digital product development initiatives or related experience within a high-growth environment
• Experience measuring success (KPIs) within a subscription service in a plus
• Analytic rigor and data-driven mindset. Experience in interpreting data and identifying trends and using those insights to make informed decisions
• Excellent critical thinking skills, including how to size up a problem and break it down to digestible portions
• Solid user experience intuition and understanding across different consumption platforms
• She / He will bring high energy, passion and precision to everything they do
• Ability to interact with a diverse set of technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required, along with finely-honed attention to detail
• Comfort with ambiguity; a track record of responding quickly to opportunities.
• Self-starter attitude
• Must be accountable and willing to learn from mistakes
• Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities and the ability to react quickly, dynamically, and intelligently
• Demonstrated understanding of audio apps and a willingness to learn audio-specific performance tracking.
• Agile product development experience is a plus
• Undergraduate degree required (preferrably in CS, Engineering, Analytics, Market Research or related field), Masters preferred